There is no doubt that social media has become and will continue to become an ever evolving revolution. Just about every person on the planet is aware of what social media is, or has a social media account of some kind. Over the years so many different platforms of social media have come and gone, some even changing the way we interact with the world. It would be an incredibly stupid business mistake if your business did not hold some form of a social media account, whether it be a Facebook page, a Twitter account, YouTube channel, Google +, the list is endless. Having a social media account as a business is a very wise public relations move. However, the way in which the account it used is a different strategy within itself, for a public relations social media strategy to work, and maintain strong communication, and relationships with its target publics, it is important to incorporate the 7Cs.
The 7Cs are:
- Much like a target audience , it is incredibly important to find which social media site your community uses to interact, and the type of conversations that are taking place about your brand before engaging with a community or starting a whole new one.
- The second step in creating a strong social media strategy is content. This means determining what sorts of things you are going to share with your community.
- You need to figure out what you can showcase your skills and expertise to current and prospective clients.
- Content must be relevant to your brand, and sourced through what your community would like to see from your company.
- Beth Kanter stated that ‘content curation is the process of sorting through the vast amounts of content on the Web and presenting it in a meaningful and organized way’
- It is a way of sharing other peoples content with everyone in your community.
- A content curator finds the best and most relevant information on a specific issue and is able to share it with the rest of your community.
- Creating is producing original content online.
- This can be through blog posts, images, YouTube videos or text.
- After either curating or creating the content, the next step is to share this with your community.
- Connection is about gaining a really deep understanding of what your community wants more of from your social media strategies.
- The sixth C, which is pretty self explanatory, is communication with your community.
- Engaging with the community is a pivotal part of a successful social media strategy.
- To develop a successful social media strategy, it is important to communicate, convince, and most importantly, convert social media into action, both externally and internally.
- Your social media strategy needs to be tied to your business sale
- There is a return of investment (ROI)
So while it is almost integral to the success of a business to have a form of communication with their target publics through social media, it is pivotal that the strategies that are employed by a company or business, incorporate all 7Cs in order for an effective way to communicate.
Social media may have changed the public relations game, but if anything its a much more effective way of reaching out to all different types of publics and communities in the one place and helps create a reputable brand.